THE METHODIST CHURCH AND HALL IMMEDIATELY EAST AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO WEST AND NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152670

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1983

Statutory Address: THE METHODIST CHURCH AND HALL IMMEDIATELY EAST AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO WEST AND NORTH, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE METHODIST CHURCH AND HALL IMMEDIATELY EAST AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO WEST AND NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152670 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:17:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE METHODIST CHURCH AND HALL IMMEDIATELY EAST AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO WEST AND NORTH, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Swanage

National Grid Reference: SZ 02858 78687

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5190 (south side) The Methodist Church and Hall immediately East and boundary walls to West and North SZ 0278 NE 5/93 GV II

2. Built 1886. Architects Bucknell and Jennings. An imposing building in Purbeck Stone, with a slate roof, the main north front being in a Flamboyant Gothic style. This front has a central entrance door with a flattened ogee arch, approached by a flight of stone steps. Above this is a large "west " window with flowing tracery. Above this again, in the gable, is a circular window. The gable parapet is finished with crockets and pinnacles. East of the entrance is a square tower with octagonal upper storeys and spire, rising from behind an ornamental parapet with pinnacles. The other windows in the main north front are single or paired lights with elliptical heads and hood moulds. Windows in the side elevation are plain lancets. The adjoining Hall and Sunday School, built in 1907, is similar in style and materials to the Church. The buildings are set back from the street in a forecourt, bounded by Purbeck Stone walls, with stone gate piers and simple iron gates. An important building in the street. Set in the boundary wall is a stone inscribed "Built 1807, enlarged 1842". This presumably refers to an earlier Church on the site.

Listing NGR: SZ0285878687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 108219

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing