CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152707

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, RUNHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 07:50:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, RUNHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth (District Authority)

Parish: Stokesby with Herringby

National Grid Reference: TG 43592 10568

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKESBY WITH HERRINGBY RUNHAM ROAD TG 41 SW (north side) 6/56 Church of St. Andrew 25.9.62

- II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, Decorated nave and continuous chancel. Restored 1856-58, chancel further restored 1910-15. Flint, ashlar and brick with thatched roof. 3 stage unbuttressed square tower. Square light to west. Louvred 2-light Y traceried belfry windows. Belfry windows and triple crenellated brick parapet probably of 1500 when appropriate bequest is recorded. C18 gabled brick south porch, the C19 door of which has C14 starred iron flushing plate and puller. Nave supported by stepped buttresses. South side with 2 2-light C14 ogeed windows and one 3-light C15 Perpendicular window, the latter under stilted arch. Arched north nave doorway and 2 2-light C14 ogeed windows. Chancel with diagonal eastern buttresses. Flanks have 2 2-light ogeed windows each. 3-light cusped intersecting east window. Priests' door to south. Interior. Simple chamfered tower arch, blocked and with doorway. Nave roof 1856-58, scissor braced. Plain C20 font. No chancel arch. Boarded scissor braced C19 chancel roof. Stepped sedilia and cinquefoiled piscina. 6 pierced-back benches in nave with poppyheads. Arm rests carved with animals and a kneeling woman at prayer. Brasses in chancel floor : Edmund Clere and wife Elizabeth,1488, he is in military costume. Inscription panel below; Thomas Gerard, 1506, in academical costume, with inscription panel; Ann Cygges, widow of Sir Thomas Clere, 1570, with inscription; Anne Heigham and children, wife of Thomas Clere, 1614, with inscription.

Listing NGR: TG4359210568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 227726

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing