RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152777

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1959

Statutory Address: RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE CHASE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152777 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:11:25.

Location

Statutory Address: RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE CHASE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Wiggenhall St. Germans

National Grid Reference: TF 60434 13252

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 61 SW WIGGENHALL ST. GERMANS THE CHASE

4/29 Ruins of Church of 8.7.59 St. Peter

- II*

Former parish church. Largely C15, chancel in construction 1421. Ashlar with brick repairs, no roof. West tower, nave, chancel. 3 stage tower, the lower 2 undifferentiated, flat buttresses to east, setback south-west, stair turret north-west. 3-light west window under hood. Square lancets to ringing chamber and 2-light belfry windows. Plain parapet. Low arched doors to north, south and west of tower. South aisle demolished 1840 and 3-light windows reset into blocked arcade arches. 4 bay arcade of square section piers with semi-circular lobes. North as south but with 5 stepped buttresses. Chancel windows 2-light : one to north, 2 to south, of earlier post-Decorated type than nave. East window under 4-centred arch but tracery mostly missing, unlike other fenestration.

Listing NGR: TF6043413252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221361

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing