Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152801

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, CHURCH ROAD


Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152801 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 04:27:27.


Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen

National Grid Reference: TF 59998 11451


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/38 The Priory 9.7.51 (formerly listed as Priory cottages) II* House. originally T plan hall house, timber framed of c.1500, remodelled and floored c.1525 when cased in brick, the hall floored and substantially rebuilt. Restored 1970's. Concrete roof tiles. 2 storeys. Main range with central late C20 gabled porch on reused Cl6 moulded posts. 1 late C20 casement left and right. Blocked square hall window to left below 2 C20 upper casements. Gabled roof with rebuilt ridge and south gable stacks. South gable stepped: to ground floor blocked doorway now containing statue in niche. Moulded brick square light to right with hollow jambs under square hood on labels. 2 similar windows first floor and attic, the latter with round heads. Gable on kneelers. East side has scattered C20 casements and remains of blocked windows. Service wing projects at north but truncated to fall flush with C16 porch entrance : square doorway with wave moulded jambs and lintel of moulded brick under square hood on labels, now blocked with C20 casement. External stack to north wall of service wing. Gabled service wing projects to west of main range. Interior. Disposition of hall plan intact. Porch his tierceron terracotta rib vault with C20 rose boss replacing missing boss and leads to screens passage, originaly hall to left, service bays to right. Sitting room with fine ribbon moulded bridging beam with vine trail and roll moulded joists. Wall plate above fire- place with rosette and stud decoration once extended round room as cornice. Fireplace with brick nogging and wave moulded brick jambs. Dining room bridging beam has multiple hollow and roll mouldings with joists as before. Fireplace as sitting room but with late C20 nogging. Slightly domed brick vaulted cellar with terracotta tierceron rib vault on 2 bay diagonal system. Roof of 2 crown post trusses : moulded tie beams on arched braced to wall posts; square section crown posts arch braced to tie beam each with 4 top arched braces to collars and purlin.

Listing NGR: TF5999811451


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221370

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing