CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152811

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ANGELS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152811 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:43:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Eastington

National Grid Reference: SO 78271 05767

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASTINGTON CHURCHEND SO 7805 13/46 Church of St. Michael and All Angels 10.1.55 GV II* Anglican parish church. C14, dedicated 1340 to St. Mary, known as St. Michael's from C18, probably on site of earlier church. Nave rebuilt c1500 and south aisle added in early C16 by Duke of Buckingham, north porch 1652, C19 vestry; restored 1851, including lengthening of chancel, and 1885. Ashlar, stone slate roof with coped verges and saddlestones with cross finials. West tower, nave and clerestory with south aisle running whole length, north porch and north transeptal organ chamber, chancel and small north vestry. Tower of 3 stages with string courses, clasped buttresses up to first string course, embattled parapet with square stair tower projecting above height of parapet on north side surmounted by weathercock said to be C16; small 2-light trefoils with quatrefoil over to each face of top stage, glazed to south and rest louvred for belfry; small single lights on middle stage; lowest stage has 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. South aisle and clerestory windows Perpendicular and mostly 3-light, and four- centred archway with square hoodmould and enriched spandrels with carved letters SB for Stafford and Buckingham, and 3-light east window with complicated Perpendicular tracery and square hoodmould with angels and shields on stops. Restored 3-light chancel east window with arched hoodmould, and carved memorial tablet adjoining with cherub's heads and swag and illegible slate inscription panel, probably of early/mid C18. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows between north porch and transept, forming virtually single windows for nave and clerestory, with transom marking change in level. Gabled north porch with chamfered rounded archway. Interior: Six-bay nave arcade to south with octagonal piers, 2 to east having been restored in 1885 when elaborate semi-pyramidal painted compartmented choir, ceiling, pulpit, stone choir screen, lectern and pews were inserted. Chancel ceiling also painted, rest plain. Norman tub font to south west. Many good marble monuments and floor brasses to Stephens family, early lords of the Manor, including large altar tomb near font with recumbent figures of Edward Stephens (died 1587) and wife, with very small heads. (VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972; David Verey, The Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)

Listing NGR: SO7827105767

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132305

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing