THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1152846
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152846 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 22:25:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Rampisham
National Grid Reference:
ST 56175 02264

Details

ST 50 SE RAMPISHAM RAMPISHAM VILLAGE

3/141 The Manor House 12.6.53 GV II

Manor House. Early C17, remodelled internally late C19, and with early C20 additions on the east and north-west. Rubble- stone and dressed stone walls with ashlar quoins. Roman tile roofs, hipped. Stone and brick stacks on south ridge, and brick on north-west wing. Two storeys and attics. Entrance front, 3 windows then north-west range, 2 storey porch, gabled, left of centre. Mullion-and-transom windows, mainly of 4 lights, with separate labels over the ground floor windows. Iron casements, leaded. Porch entrance has a depressed- arch head with separate label over. Plank door inside. South elevation: 5 windows, also of mullion-and-transom type, with 2-light windows over. C20 dormers inserted on the north and south elevations. Depressed-arch doorway at centre, with separate label over. High up on this wall is a small round dial, dated 1608. Interior: completely remodelled, late C19. South-west room has an overmantel made up of C17, fragments from the former screen mentioned in Hutchins; it has a frieze with fruit and swags; there are fragments from the same source in the north-east room. Both rooms have panelled C17 doors with elaborate enrichment over the doorways and scrolled cresting. Fragment of early C16 glass with a red rose and a number of C14 slip-tiles found near the house and including shields-of-arms of Bryan. (RCHM).

(RCHM Dorset I, p192(6). J Hutchins, History of Dorset vol II, p694, 3rd ed. 1861-74).

Listing NGR: ST5617502264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
105466
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 192
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1861), 694

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].