Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152877.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Mar-2021 at 12:49:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Devon (District Authority)
King's Nympton
National Grid Reference:
SS 70893 21262


KINGS NYMPTON SS 72 SW 2/115 Broomham Farmhouse 20.2.67 - II* Farmhouse unoccupied at time of survey. Probably early C16, remodelled 1638 by datestone, with some C19 alterations but subsequently very little changed. Unrendered stone rubble, right end partly rendered stone rubble and cob. Thatch roof, half-hipped, with chamfered timber wall plate. Corrugated asbestos roof to rear kitchen wing. Tall front lateral stone rubble hall stack with tapered cap, stone rubble ridge stacks towards left end and to rear kitchen wing. Plan: house unoccupied since c.1978 and interior of main range not accessible. Substantial modified long-house plan, with hall, inner room and additional unheated room probably originally a dairy beyond to left of through-passage, and integral lofted outbuilding to right. Kitchen wing to rear of hall and through-passage creating overall T-shaped plan with single-storey outshot to left. The house was originally open to the roof, including the lofted outbuilding which has been extended probably in the late C17 at the right end. The house was ceiled probably in 1638, when the kitchen wing appears to have been added, and the hall stairs which are housed in a shallow projection between the hall stack and through-passage doorway. Additional spiral staircase to rear kitchen wing. Exterior: 2 storeys. 4-window range C19 fenestration entirely intact, all 3-light casements 8 panes per light. Small 2-light mullion staircase window, C17 4-light chamfered mullion window to left end, and 2-light mullion to right side upper storey of rear wing. Outbuilding at right end has large C19 2-light shuttered opening above C19 4-light timber window. Old studded plank door at right end. Datestone above hall window inscribed "Anno Domini 1638 B.T. T.T.' Interior: not accessible but known to be little altered and probably early fabric concealed. There is said to be a domed ash house in the projection behind the rear kitchen wing stack. The C17 panelling has been removed. The lofted outbuilding has a single raised cruck truss with cranked morticed and tenoned collar and 2 tiers of threaded purlins and ridge purlin. All the roof members including battens, rafters and underside of thatch are heavily smoke-blackened (except to the right end extension) and the entire roof structure is said to be of similar construction. Broomham is a remarkably unspoilt farmhouse of a longhouse type; it clearly retains features of considerable interest and deserves a full interior inspection.

Listing NGR: SS7089321262


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13422/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sue Spurr. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].