CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152889

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:24:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Great and Little Plumstead

National Grid Reference: TG 30192 09963

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 30 NW GREAT & LITTLE PLUMSTEAD CHURCH ROAD

(Great Plumstead) 7/33 Church of St. Mary 25/9/62 the Virgin, Great Plumstead.

II

Parish church, containing medieval fragments, with tower dated 1711, and restored in 1875. Flint with brick and stone dressings and plain tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Tower, of brick, built off the medieval flint base. Built in two stages, with clasping pilasters. Inserted C19 single light west window with stilted 'Tudor' arch. Date plaque to south in recess with moulded cornice above and sill band below. Vent loop type sound holes to north and south. String course at bell chamber floor level. Honeycomb brick belfry openings with semi-circular arches with key block. Reset medieval gargoyles below chequered flint and stone battlemented parapet with brick finials. Remainder of church mainly C19. 3 bay nave with offset buttresses and 3 light Perpendicular style windows. Blocked north door. Gabled south porch with parapet. Single light lancet on north chancel wall. 3 light C19 Perpendicular style window, central blocked priest's door and small 2 light window on south side. C19. 3 light Perpendicular window, flanked by 2 reset C13 blocked lancet windows. Parapet gables with stone kneelers. Interior C19. Stoup adjacent to south door. C13 shafts visible on east chancel wall. Steps to rood loft in north chancel wall. 2 small brasses in floor. Tower inscription reads: This tower restored, Thom Marker and Mr. Joseph Vincent Church Wardens 1711. Hopper heads dated 1875.

Listing NGR: TG3019209963

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 228481

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing