EARL'S COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1152973
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1975
Statutory Address:
EARL'S COURT, 9, GERVIS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EARL'S COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:26:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
EARL'S COURT, 9, GERVIS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 09919 91224

Details

1. 5186 GERVIS ROAD (South Side) No 9 (Earl's Court) SZ 0991 20/177 31.1.75.

II

2. Polychromatic Gothic villa, circa 1865, 3 storeys and basement, grey brick with red brick bands and voussoirs. Half-hipped gables with thick traceried bargeboards and moulded brick cornices. Half-hipped porch canopy at north-west corner on chamfered timber brackets, staircase up to vestibule lit by 2-light windows with stone Geometrical tracery. Straight-headed 4-light window to hall, next to it tall arched 4-light staircase window with Geometrical tracery. Projecting north-east wing closing forecourt. Garden front (south) dominated by off-centre polygonal bay with steeply gabled dormers in hipped roof. Chimneys with end stacks turned diagonally and vertical strips of red brick. Built in 1874 by the first Earl Cairns who was Lord Chancellor in Disraeli's Governments of 1867-8 and 1874-80. He occupied the house until his death in 1885. Included for historical reasons.

Listing NGR: SZ0991991224

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101752
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15449/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Lownds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].