MILL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTH WEST OF CAWSEY'S MEETHE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152982

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: MILL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTH WEST OF CAWSEY'S MEETHE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTH WEST OF CAWSEY'S MEETHE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152982 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:19:02.

Location

Statutory Address: MILL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTH WEST OF CAWSEY'S MEETHE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: King's Nympton

National Grid Reference: SS 67728 22786

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGS NYMPTON SS 62 SE 1/132 Mill approximately 20 metres north- west of Cawsey's Meethe Farmhouse - II Water mill. Probably late C18 (1796 carved on beam) remodelled and extended in early to mid C19. Unrendered stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends. The mill consists of 2 undershot water wheels, one each side of the leat, the lofted mill building itself straddling the leat with storage/granary facilities of single cell plan to each side. The original core appears to consist of the left-hand side section, the mill having been extended over the leat and on the right side in the C19. The stone floor, with provision for one set of stones, is situated over the right-hand section, with loft floor over left side. Exterior: largely obscured by ivy, there appears to be 2 shuttered windows on each floor and plank door at right end. Cambered arched lintel to leat entrance. Loft door over plank door at left gable end. Interior: 2 undershot wheels, the earlier, possibly late C18 wheel situated to left, all timber construction and C19 wheel to right are largely intact, as is the gearing and sluice arrangement. The millstones have been removed. Hopper arrangement survives to left-hand section which has IH 1796 carved on cross ceiling beam.

Listing NGR: SS6772822786

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 97309

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing