- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- DITCHINGHAM HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153041.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 11:13:17.
- Statutory Address:
- DITCHINGHAM HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 32050 92702
DITCHINGHAM DITCHINGHAM PARK
TM 39 SW
Country house. Built c.1715 for Rev. John Bedingfeld, extended 1910. Mauve brick with red brick dressings. Hipped slate roofs, some plain tiles on rear slopes. Two storeys and attics, U-shaped plan. South facade of seven bays, the centre three slightly advanced under a pediment: sashes with glazing bars and louvred shutters. Sunken apron panels below windows. Keyed gauged brick arches over openings, the keys reflected in the moulded string course at first floor level. Central doorway withCorinthian pilasters supporting a segmental. pediment with dentil ornament. The pediment interrupts the first floor string course. The central first floor window has a raised and eared moulded brick surround with head-keystone. The surround rests on short brick pilasters. Modillion eaves cornice. Cartouche with arms and festoons in pediment typanum. Four pedimented attic dormers. Two square panelled chimney stacks with moulded caps, symmetrically-placed. C20 swept serpentine garden wall attached to south-west corner. West facade increased from five to nine bays for William Carr 1910: sashes with glazing bars under gauged arches with keystones. Moulded string course at first floor level. Central doorway; 6-panel 2-leaf door with rectangular fanlight. Stone door surround, architrave with bead and foliage decoration; angle pilasters with consoles supporting segmental pediment containing cartouche and leaf-ornament. Frieze of foliage with ram's head below pediment. Centre first floor window set in eared brick architrave with head-keystone, echoing the south facade. Steep pediment over centre three bays, containing circular window with glazing bars, moulded surround with scroll-keystones and festoons of flowers and foliage. Modillion eaves cornice with additional carved brackets below pediment. Four pedimented attic dormers, two C20 roof windows. Panelled chimney stack on ridge line, to north of pediment. Rear of Edwardian range has two blind first floor openings with above, a large panelled and scrolled chimney stack. Segmental 2-storey bow with steep hipped roof and three curved first floor sashes with glazing bars. String course and eaves, cornice continue round from west facade. North wall has central 6-panel door with rectangular fanlight, moulded architrave with pediment on pulvinated frieze. Two tall semicircular-headed windows with glazing bars; two pedimented dormers. One- bay return on east side with single-storey service range to north, a C20 remodelling with slated pyramid roof behind a parapet. East facade of six bays with detailing repeated from south and west elavations: one ground floor sash replaced by tall glazed door; one first floor window blind. Three pedimented attic dormers. At the north-west corner an attached C20 garden wall with panelled piers and ball finials; C17 wrought iron gates, painted and gilded, re-used from Staunton Harold, Northants. Interior: contains good C18 stair with three turned balusters per tread and carved tread ends. (Interior not inspected).
Listing NGR: TM3205092702
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing