MELTON CONSTABLE HALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- MELTON CONSTABLE HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153044.pdf
This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 08:47:00.
- Statutory Address:
- MELTON CONSTABLE HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Norfolk (District Authority)
- Melton Constable
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 03079 31925
TG 03 SW MELTON CONSTABLE MELTON CONSTABLE PARK
3/68 Melton Constable Hall. 30/11/51 G.V. I Country house. Built c.1664-1670 by Sir Jacob Astley 1st Bart 1664 replacing a house of c.1500; enclosed Park in direct male succession from 1236 until sale by the 20th Lord Hastings in 1956. Domestic classical style introduced from the Netherlands by the Webb-May-Wren circle, but no architect recorded. Red brick with stone, stucco, wood and lead dressings, slated and copper roofs. Double pile plan with extensions to east and north; 9 bay north and south fronts 7-bay returns. North (entrance) front: stuccoed half basement, stone dressed 2-light casements filled in. 3 centre bays broken forward, 3 outer bays recessed. Ground and first floor stone dressed windows with stone aprons, sashes replacing casements. Pediments to ground floor central windows of outer bays. Central doorway with 3 part raised and fielded double doors, fanlight and segmental stone pediment on console brackets. Rusticated stone quoins to central 3 bays and to outer bays. Ground floor stone plinth, first floor stone platband. Richly cut wooden modillion eaves cornice with central pediment filled with coat of arms with swags. 2 central and 2 outer segmental and 2 outer triangular pedimented wooden dormers, sashes with glazing bars. South front similar bay system and details except for blind boxes to windows and stone perron stairs with wrought iron railings and central mid C18 doorway with 3 part raised and fielded double doors and stone architrave with fluted Ionic half-columns and pediment. West front with 2 outer bays and 3 central bays brought forward with ground floor 3 bay Ionic portico 1757, stone basement with balustrade between the order entablature and balustrade above. 2 segmental pedimented dormers with large fan shaped window in valley between roofs to light staircase. East front : 3 central ground floor bays brought forward as a bow with 3 arched headed stone dressed windows; l'oeil de boeuf window above, 2 3-dormers. North and south hipped roofs, 4 large brick stacks with stone copings recessed in valley. Interior: plaster work ceilings of c.1687 in ground floor room at south west, to former chapel and to first floor room at north east, to main staircase. Richly cut, naturalistic plaster work in compartment ceilings, perhaps modelled in situ. Main staircase at west with carved strings, 2 barley sugar balusters to each riser, panelled dado; dog-leg to first floor with isolated gallery with same details crossing the well at attic level. Secondary staircase at north east with basement and ground floor Corinthian column newels, arranged as newel staircase with bolection moulded string and rectangular balusters; rising to attics with separate dog-leg stair branching off to first floor. South range ground floor with c.1830 details to central and south east rooms, latter with pair of green scagliola columns. Room at south west with c.1750 fireplaces. Former chapel on axis with staircase with mid C18 fireplace. North pile with mid C18 panelled room at east, panelled hall, room at north west with Greek Revival detailed ceiling of c.1820 with anthemions etc. To east service wing of one and half storeys with half basement and attics. Nine bays with central 3 bay portico. Basement 2-light casements with glazing bars, first floor and attic sashes with glazing bars. Ionic portico with balustrade between columns, modillion cornice and pediment with crest and motto cartouche. 2 segmental and 2 triangular headed dormers, 4 ridge stacks. To east further 5 bay wing, 3 central bays broken forward with pediment with heraldic cartouche to answer arrangement of south front of main block. Ground floor 5 casements, first floor 5 sashes, 2 segmental headed dormers. Downpipes all dated 1887, supposedly refacing wing of 1810. Further wing at east of 3 bays 1926. See Christopher Hussey, Melton Constable Hall in Country Life 1928; 15, 22 September 1928 pp 364-370, 402-409.
Listing NGR: TG0307931925
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 22 September, , Vol. 15, (1928), 364 409
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,
End of official listing