CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153045

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 05:24:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Shernborne

National Grid Reference: TF 71377 32428

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 73 SW SHERNBORNE

5/23 Church of SS Peter and Paul.

5/6/53 II*

Parish Church. Norman and Early English, C11 and C13 evidence, largely rebuilt 1898 by H.J. Green, the Diocesan architect for Norwich, with Sir Reginald Blomfield, an architect much employed on the Sandringham Estate, as consultant. - Flint and carstone rubble, free-stone dressings, plain-tiled nave and chancel roofs, lead south aisle roofs. Nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel. External details all of 1898, still High Victorian in feeling in west window tracery and bell cote. Interior has 2 bay south arcade with C13 Early English or later central octagonal pier and 2 half-octagonal respond piers, with moulded bases, renewed higher up. Closely set scissor braced roof to nave, boarded to chancel. Tesselated floors. Font, stone, Norman, has base plinth, shaft with 4 piers with bases and capitals, square bowl with slightly bowed sides, angle piers with bases and capitals. Lion-mask to each of 4 sides, interlace and inhabited scrolls. Brass: Sir Thomas Shernborne and wife; a knight in armour and his lady, mounted on north wall. Pulpit 1898, pews 1919, east window stained 1924.

Listing NGR: TF7137732428

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221408

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing