This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST. MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. MARY

List entry Number: 1153046

Location

CHURCH OF ST. MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Watton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 220125

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WATTON CHURCH LANE TF 90 SW

1/87 Church of St. Mary.

16.7.58 II*

Parish church. C12 and later, rebuilt 1840, restored 1886-7. Partially rendered flint with gault brick dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Tower C12. 2 stages, circular base. Arched west door and lancet above of C19. String course below C14 octagonal belfry with ashlar quoins terminating in parapet with punched encircled quatrefoils and trefoiled fields, both with shields. 2-light cusped round-headed belfry windows to alternate faces. Broad aisles of 1840 with gabled roofs. Moulded arched doorway with lancet above to west fronts with flushwork angle buttresses. 2 2-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches to south aisle with 3-light window at east. Chancel largely C13 and rendered. Low side window in south wall, priest's door and paired lancets under separate but continuous hoods. Restored triple lancet east window, central light taller. Vestry of 1852 abuts north chancel wall, converted to organ chamber 1886. North aisle east window 3-light Perpendicular. 3 2-light Y traceried windows to north wall. Clerestorey windows obscured by aisles: 3 2-light 4-centred windows each side unevenly spaced. Interior with 3 bay arcade of double hollow chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers. Mushroom capitals and moulded bases. North arcade has sunk quadrants between lobes. Scissor braced nave roof of C19 with battlemented wall plate. 8 bay screen at west end of south aisle and chancel screen both 1852. Benches 1840 and 1852. Reredos 1908. Poor Box in form of wooden Parson inscribed 'Remember the Poore 1639'.

Listing NGR: TF9213500943

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 92135 00943

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153046 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 07:56:12.

End of official listing