DALE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1153057
Date first listed:
27-Oct-1950
Statutory Address:
DALE HOUSE, SALISBURY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DALE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153057 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 05:30:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
DALE HOUSE, SALISBURY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
North Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Blandford Forum
National Grid Reference:
ST 88561 06639

Details

1. 865 SALISBURY STREET (West Side) Dale House ST 8806 1/90 27.lO.50.

II*

2. Detached house set back in garden. The centre block appears to date from about 1690 or 1700 and so must have escaped the fire of 1731. Later additions at sides and many other alterations, probably including moving of front door. The central block is 2-storey 5-window red brick with stone quoins. Hipped plain tile roof with stone slates near eaves. Hipped dormers, probably altered. Central chimney surrounded by flat roof. Coved eaves cornice. Centre bay of front breaks forward and the cove is continued up the verges of a small gable giving the effect of an open pediment. (cf. Ryve's Almshouses). The central 1st floor window has semi-circular head, imposts and key. The oval stone window on this front may have been inserted later in the place of the original doorway. This is now on the South side and has a segmental stone pediment dated 1689.

Listing NGR: ST8856106639

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
102249
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04929/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JE Leeson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].