- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE GROVE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153074.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2020 at 06:55:20.
- Statutory Address:
- THE GROVE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Forest of Dean (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 74279 21651
SO 72 SW TAYNTON -
7/233 The Grove
Farmhouse; late C16, C17, C18, C19, extended and altered 1924 by H. F. Trew for M. P. Price; timber-framed, white-painted brick nogging, except in 1924 porch where unpainted; painted brickwork, Flemish-bond to early C18 section on front; cavity-wall brickwork to 1924 extension; tiled roofs. Wide H-plan, 2-bay centre; 2- bay extension left, extends further bay to right: 2 storeys with attics. Entrance front from 1924: all windows leaded lights. Left, gable of 1924 extension: two 2-light mullion and transom windows, flat rubbed brick arch over: set back to 1924 porch, timber-framed, double, boarded door, cover-beads to joints, decorative hinges, up one stone step, Tudor arch over: side lights. Set back on right to C18 gable: on left 2-light mullion and transom window replacing door in 1924. Slight break formed on right to late C17 or early C18 brickwork, 2-light casement and single light, plain string course over. Two-light casement with cambered brick arch on right, in brick section, main post extending down between 2 gables: on right 2 and 3-light casement windows. Single-storey wall beyond, boarded door, 2 and 3-light casements. First floor, on left 2 mullion and transom windows as on ground floor: plain string course over, gable chimney above. Similar window in porch, diamond-set stone pieces in infill for decorative effect, gable over. Set back to C18 gable, two 2-light mullion and transom windows, plain string over and rendered gable, with 2- light casement. To left diamond-set brick chimney; plain brick stack on ridge to right. To right lower brick section, gabled dormer with 2-light casement, cuts wallplate. To right timber- framed gable, part 2, part 3 panels high, 2-light casement, queen- strut truss in gable: plain brick chimney on ridge to right. Larger gable beyond, 2-panels high framing, 2-light mullion and transom window, gable as left but 3 struts. Long roof slope to right down to single-storey wall: Two-light casement in gabled dormer added 1924. On back single-storey, flat roofed Jacobean- style porch in centre of H, front entrance until 1924. Interior: room to right of older porch 2-panel door, original L- hinges, panelled window seat and shutters, semi-circular headed cupboard to left of fireplace, dummy keystone, semi-circular back, doors missing: dado rail, moulded cornice, chamfered ceiling beam. Roof: timber-framed cross wing 3 bay, angle-strut trusses, no ridge piece: centre may be of 2 periods, queen post truss, square ridge. House of Thomas Pury, who built church (q.v.), M.P. for Gloucester in Civil War period; his coat of arms appears on 2 firebacks in house. (Drawings for alterations, 1924, at Tibberton Court; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)
Listing NGR: SO7427921651
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing