CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1153110
Date first listed:
20-May-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 07:20:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Postwick with Witton
National Grid Reference:
TG 31423 09713

Details

TG 30 NW POSTWICK HALL ROAD (Witton) 7/51 20.5.52. Church of St. Margaret.

II*

Parish Church of Witton. Medieval, partially rebuilt in 1857. Built of flint and brick with plain tile roof. Internal west tower, south porch nave and chancel. Square C15 west tower splayed above roof line into C17 octagonal second stage with battlemented parapet of alternating square and triangular merlons. Flint with brick dressings. C19 2 light west window, and single light brick honeycomb sound hole with 2 centred arch. Honeycomb brick belfry openings with 'Tudor' arches. 5 bay nave with C19 buttresses to north and irregular arrangements of 2 and 3 light C19 windows. Blocked C12 doorway at west end, with semi-circular arch. On south side, 3 C19 lancets to west of porch and one 2-light C19 window to east. C19 porch with lancets to east and west. Parapet gable. South door inside with single splayed opening and hood mould with label stops. C19 single bay chancel with linked lancets to north and south with 3 stepped lancets to east. Gable buttresses to east, set back buttresses to north and south. Parapet gables with carved stone kneelers and cross finials at apex. Interior mainly C19. Brass to Juliana Anyell c.1500.

Listing NGR: TG3142309713

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228499
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04920/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].