GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 2-10M SOUTH OF THE PORCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1153119

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 2-10M SOUTH OF THE PORCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 2-10M SOUTH OF THE PORCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 16:29:26.

Location

Statutory Address: GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF ST ANDREW 2-10M SOUTH OF THE PORCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Coln St. Dennis

National Grid Reference: SP 08732 09670

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLN ST DENNIS COLN ROGERS SP 0809 15/134 Group of 5 monuments in the church- yard of the Church of St Andrew 2 - 10m south of the porch

GV II

Three chest tombs and a pair of headstones. Limestone. a) Chest tomb nearest to porch to Thomas Barton, died 1845, and other members of that family. Moulded plinth. Main inscription on the north side with a beaded margin; further inscription at the east end; plain frieze above. Capping with moulded margin; stepped and moulded upper capping stone. Frieze and beaded marginal panels formerly painted black. b) John Barton chest tomb c1.5m south of and matching the Thomas Barton tomb (q.v.). Inscription to John Barton, died 1823 on the north side, further inscriptions to other members of that family on the south and west. c & Pair of headstones c3m south of the John Barton chest tomb. d) Left-hand headstone to John Barton, died 1771 and Ann his wife, died 1761. Right-hand headstone to Mary, wife of Edmund Barton, died 1707. Cartouche-like surrounds with cherubs' heads at the top to both inscription panels. e) Chest tomb c0.25m to the south of the Mary Barton chest tomb. Inscription to Edmund Barton, died 1814 and other members of that family. Moulded plinth. Inscription with beaded margin on the north with simple marginal panels. Moulded margin to the capping, hipped upper capping stone.

Listing NGR: SP0873209670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 131158

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing