EASTERN WINDING HOUSE AND SHAFT HEAD BUILDING (WINDER AND SHAFT NO 1)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153123

Date first listed: 22-May-1986

Statutory Address: EASTERN WINDING HOUSE AND SHAFT HEAD BUILDING (WINDER AND SHAFT NO 1)

Map

Ordnance survey map of EASTERN WINDING HOUSE AND SHAFT HEAD BUILDING (WINDER AND SHAFT NO 1)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153123 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 20:51:55.

Location

Statutory Address: EASTERN WINDING HOUSE AND SHAFT HEAD BUILDING (WINDER AND SHAFT NO 1)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ashington

National Grid Reference: NZ 28935 88429

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHINGTON WOODHORN COLLIERY NZ 28 NE 2/43 Eastern winding house and shaft 22/5/86 head building (Winder and Shaft No. 1) GV II*



Winding house and shaft head gear, c.1894 with later alterations. Yellow Ashington brick with gauged arches to doors and windows. Roof of late C20 synthetic sheeting; shaft head gear cast iron with brick casing heightened in red brick. Rectangular 3-storey winding house with shaft to south. 3-bay side walls and 2-bay rear of winding house have bays defined by pilasters rising to stepped-and-cogged eaves cornice and large round-arched windows holding metal-framed casements; central window on east replaced by late C20 double doors onto platform. Round-arched doorways and windows to lower floors, and arched doorway onto walkway from upper floor to cage. Hipped roof with flat-topped dormer and half dormer for winding cables, and raised louvre on ridge.

Shaft head gear has skeletal frame partly encased in rectangular structure with 4 round-arched openings on east.

Sinking of shaft commenced 1894; first coal produced Feb. 13, 1901. Steam engine replaced by electric winder in 1975.

Superstructure of shaft head building and lower flat-roofed additions to west and south are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ2893588429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 235914

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing