CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153265

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153265 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:55:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Driffield

National Grid Reference: SP0694100448

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DRIFFIELD HARNHILL SP 00 SE 4/32 Church of St. Michael 26.11.58 GV II* Small Anglican church. Norman foundation, chancel rebuilt in C13 or early C14, alterations to tower in C18, restored 1909. Random coursed rubble stone with quoins, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finial at east end. Small west tower rising through nave roof, nave and south porch, chancel. Tower has hipped roof with dragon weathervane, stone slate hung sides except to west which has single small lancet, and may have been a bellcote. South porch gabled with small diagonal buttresses flanking pointed archway with sundial over, ogee niche to right inside porch, sculptured Norman tympanum over south door depicting St. Michael slaying the dragon. Two-light Perpendicular straight headed window to nave, 2 similar to chancel with blocked doorway between. Chancel has 3-light east window with 2 elongated quatrefoils between Decorated tracery heads, diagonal buttresses at east end, and single lancet to north side. Two twin trefoil head lancets to north side of nave. Interior: 3-bay nave with 2 tie beams, and collar beam to each pair of rafters. Chancel roof of 3 bays, 2 plain collar and tie beam trusses. Plain 2-step pointed chancel arch. Some medieval glass fragments in east window. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP0694100448

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 129327

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing