LANTON MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1153327

Date first listed: 14-May-1986

Statutory Address: LANTON MEMORIAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANTON MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 14:12:20.

Location

Statutory Address: LANTON MEMORIAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ewart

National Grid Reference: NT 91890 31544

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NT 93 SW EWART LANTON

3/60 Lanton Memorial

II

Obelisk. Probably erected 1827 to John Davison of Lanton by his brother Alexander Davison of Swarland Park. A further inscription records the death of Alexander Davison in 1828. Dressed whinstone with sandstone ashlar plinth and quoins. Square base c.1O ft. high surmounted by tall obelisk, the whole with flush quoins in contrasting stone.

Ashlar strip at top of base inscribed "John Davison 1827". A similar strip c.3 ft. up the obelisk is inscribed "Alexander Davison 1795" which may record the date at which he bought Swarland Park.

Marble tablet on south side of base is inscribed:-

This tablet Dedicated by Sir Wm. Davison of Lanton, Knight of the Illustrious Guelphic Order of Hanover. To the memory of his much beloved and lamented father Alexander Davison Esquire of Swarland Park whose private virtues endeared him to his.....and whose Distinguished ......in Public service ..... Died sincerely lamented December 19th 1828 aged 80 years

Alexander Davison who was chandler to Lord Nelson, erected another similar obelisk in 1806 near Swarland to the memory of Nelson.

Very prominent landscape feature.

Hist. of Northumberland Vol. XI p. 138 Vol. VII p. 401-2

Listing NGR: NT9189031544

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 237636

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parish of Edlingham with the Chapelry of Bolton The Parish of Felton with the Chapelery of Framlingham The Chapelry or Parish of Brinkburn, , Vol. 11, (1904), 401-2
Vickers, K H , 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes Carham Branxton Kirknewton Wooler and Ford, , Vol. 11, (1922), 401-2

End of official listing