MALCOLM'S CROSS AND REMAINS OF OLDER CROSS ON WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1153333
Date first listed:
31-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
MALCOLM'S CROSS AND REMAINS OF OLDER CROSS ON WEST, A1068

Map

Ordnance survey map of MALCOLM'S CROSS AND REMAINS OF OLDER CROSS ON WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153333 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 05:33:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
MALCOLM'S CROSS AND REMAINS OF OLDER CROSS ON WEST, A1068

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Denwick
National Grid Reference:
NU 19050 14756

Details

DENWICK A 1068 NU 11 SE (East side) 10/31 Malcolm's Cross and 31.12.69 remains of older cross on west II

Commemorative cross, 1774, with remains of medieval predecessor. Stepped base carrying panelled pedestal; on west 'MALCOLM III KING OF SCOTLAND BESIEGEING ALNWICK CASTLE WAS SLAIN HERE NOV. XIII AN MXCIII', on east 'MALCOLM'S CROSS DECAYED BY TIME RESTORED BY HIS DESCENDANT ELIZ. DUCHESS OF NORTHUMBERLAND MDCCLXXIV', on north crowned thistle and on south Percy lion on shield in cusped quatrefoil with thistles in corners. Tapering shaft with hollow- chamfered angles ornamented with dogtooth, with festoons and grotesque heads at top; bracelet cross head with carved ornament and open centre. On west is block inscribed 'THE ANCIENT PEDESTAL OF MALCOLMS CROSS KING OF SCOTLAND', with part of bracelet cross head fixed into it.

Listing NGR: NU1905014756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236368
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/08581/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].