CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1153338
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153338.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 05:26:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
West Rudham
National Grid Reference:
TF 81953 27642

Details

TF 82 NW WEST RUDHAM SCHOOL ROAD (north)

7/68 Church of St. Peter. 5.6.53.

I

Parish Church, now redundant. C13, C14, C15. Flint with stone dressings, slate roofs. West tower, 4 bay nave and south aisle, 2 bay chancel. Decorated west tower has 2-light switch tracery 'Y' window, 4 Decorated belfry windows, 2-lights with trefoil lights and quatrefoil, outer label continued as string course at springing of arch. 2 west face angle buttresses, one north and south buttresses with 3 set offs. Flat roof without parapet. South aisle has rich and varied series of C13 tracery windows : to west one off-centre lancet, to south one 'Y' tracery window, one Plate tracery 2-light window with upper roundel, one paired lancet : deeply moulded arches and reveal. One 3-light Perpendicular east window. C13 south door has 2 north and south colonnettes, bases and capitals, richly moulded arch. Late C18 battened door with switch tracery head. C15 clerestorey has 4 2-light straight headed windows. Nave north side has 3 Perpendicular 4-centred arch traceried windows. Chancel has one north and one south 3-light Perpendicular straight headed window, one south 3-light arched head Perpendicular window. Blocked south priest's door. 2 clasping east gable buttresses, 3-light C19 tracery Perpendicular east window. Interior: Tower arch has 3 continuous chamfers. C13 and C14 century, with late C18 Gothick screen and door. South arcade of 4½ bays. West half bay springing from stiff leaf west respond shares details of deeply moulded double hollow chamfered Early English arches with 4 bays to east, supported on octagonal piers with bases and capitals, stylistically of C14 and C15, perhaps recasings of original piers. 2 south aisle windows at centre and east have deep embrasures and angle colonnettes with bases and capitals. C15 arched braced nave roof with moulded braces and principals, bosses at intersections and to ridge beam, no collars. Perpendicular tower arch with south side rood stairs arch and rood loft arch. C19 chancel roof. C14 piscina with ogee arch framing trefoil. C17 poppyhead benches on south aisle. Fine C15 in situ glass in tracery lights of nave. Norwich School, including fine Pieta, Royal Arms of George IV in Gothick architrave frame, same details to Commandment Boards and Lord's Prayer board now in tower-vestry. See H.J. Dukinfield-Astley The Norfolk Villages (Norwich 1900) pp. 23 - 36.

Listing NGR: TF8195327642

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221652
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dukinfield Astley, HJ, Two Norfolk Villages, (1901), 23-36

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/04689/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].