Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153362.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2020 at 18:09:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dorset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 35924 05177


ST 30 NE THORNCOMBE PARK LANE 2/121 Forde Abbey 4.12.51 GV I Country House, formerly Cistercian Abbey, founded 1136. Dissolved 1539. Monastic building of 12thC, 13thC, l5thC and 16thC survives. Country house alterations and extensions of C17, C18 and modern period. Rubble walls with Ham stone ashlar and dressings. Slate and lead roofs. Surviving work: mid C12: Chapter House (now chapel): 2 bays of cross-rib vaulting carried on recessed responds with scalloped capitals. Upper part rebuilt in C16 altered late C17. East window early C16. C13 Dorter large: 13 bays of ribbed vaults dying into polygonal central columns. Frater: lower part of walls. C15: Kitchen fireplace Gateway at West end of building. C16 porch into Abbot's Hall. Walls of part of Abbot's Lodging. C17: Dining room to right of porch: Main staircase. West staircase hall. Walls of West dining room. C18. Minor jamb features. Front (South) elevation from left to right. Drawing Room of Abbot's Lodging - 3 storeys, 3 bays with embattled parapet, C16, altered and rebuilt C17. Windows with moulded architraves and cornices, central upper one round headed. West dining room similar but only 2 storeys. Abbot's Hall early C16 - 1 storey 4 bays. Window design of stone mullions cross-transomed. Very depressed arches with carved panels, 3 to a bay over. Buttresses with 3 set-offs. Porch, dated 1528, of 3 storeys. 3-centred arch-entrance with 2 storey orial window above. Three heraldic panels below each tier. Dining Room with projecting verandah. 2½ storeys. Three bays wide. Ground floor; arches, square-headed window above, and ovals above that. North alley of cloister: 7 bays of transomed 4-light windows with Y-tracery. Notable- frieze, C16. First floor with C17 windows and embattled parapet. Chapter House of 2 storeys with C18 windows at first floor level. Outstanding exterior features: Low relief early renaissance sculpture to Abbot's Hall and Porch. Interior features: plaster ceilings of 1660 to the Prideaux rooms: combining wide bands, flowing Acanthus foliage and figure-work in central medallions. C17 screen in the chapel. West staircase of c1660 with turned balusters and square newels with panels of fruit and foliage. Great staircase. Mid C17 enriched strings and hand-rails, panelled newels with bay-leaves and vases of fruit and flowers. Very fine pierced panels of acanthus scrolls with cartouches. This pattern repeated on the wall-surface. Stair-hall plaster ceiling. Source: R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p.240ff(3).

Listing NGR: ST3592405175


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1974), 240
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16548/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].