CONVENT OF THE HANDMAIDS OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS (BOSCOMBE CONVENT SCHOOL, SENIOR DEPARTMENT)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1153377
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1976
Statutory Address:
CONVENT OF THE HANDMAIDS OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS (BOSCOMBE CONVENT SCHOOL, SENIOR DEPARTMENT), 13, PARKWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONVENT OF THE HANDMAIDS OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS (BOSCOMBE CONVENT SCHOOL, SENIOR DEPARTMENT)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 23:25:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONVENT OF THE HANDMAIDS OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS (BOSCOMBE CONVENT SCHOOL, SENIOR DEPARTMENT), 13, PARKWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 12171 92001

Details

1. 5186 PARKWOOD ROAD (South West Side) No 13 [Convent of the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Boscombe Convent School, Senior Department)] SZ 1291 29/256

II

2. Former Convent of the Cross. Big symmetrical Elizabethan-style E-plan front in Purbeck rubble, 1889. 4-storey shaped gables to centre and wings, 2 storeys and attic between. Porch with sculptured angels adoring cross in spandrels, canted oriel over. Windows stone-mullioned, mostly 3-light with transom or 2-light with transom. Asymmetrical rear: north wing (with 2 narrow transverse gables) and far-projecting central wing both end in shaped gables, shorter south wing (with transverse shaped gable and 1 transverse ordinary gable) connects to chapel:

Early English style, 5 bays, lancets within continuous arcade of big blind relieving arches. Gabled bellcote with fleche on ridge.

Listing NGR: SZ1217192001

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101806
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16243/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].