PAINSWICK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1153435
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1955
Statutory Address:
PAINSWICK HOUSE, PAINSWICK HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAINSWICK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153435 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 02:20:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAINSWICK HOUSE, PAINSWICK HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Painswick
National Grid Reference:
SO 86339 10468

Details

PAINSWICK PAINSWICK HOUSE SO 8610/8710 6/249 Painswick House 21.10.55 - I country house. 1737 probably by John Strahan for Charles Hyett, extended 1837 by George Baseri for his brother-in-law, W H Hyett. Fine limestone ashlar, hipped slate roof with central lead flat. Crops-de-logis, the original building, plus two wings at lower level; plan at main level has lofty 'hall' set off-centre, right in corps-de-logis. At this end a substantial new entrance hall with portico added, and at far end a new Dining room, behind which, and to its north, is an extensive service and kitchen wing attached to bit outside the principal block. Because of fall in ground levels, the main front of two storeys and attics corresponds with a four-storeyed back. Principal front is 2 + 5 + 2 windows, all glazing-bar sashes, at ground floor with Gibbs surrounds and pediments over 5 bold keystones; to left and right of central door which is set in a small Ionic porch across the bottom half of the window, the pediments are segmental. First floor has 5 square sashes in shouldered architraves with central keystone and with consoles to cills. Ground floor sashes are deep 15-pane, but two 24-pane left of porch, and two 18-pane in right hand wing; an inner floor level cuts across the top 2 levels of these. Moulded cornice and parapets, with sunk panelling to wings only. Various square ashlar stacks with cappings. Right return, now the main entrance has bold flat-roofed Corinthian 4-columned portico with responds, in front of 2-storey block with central pedi- ment and unit brought forward slightly and having small stack at centre; double 5-panel doors flanked by lights, ground floor has 12-pane sashes to cill band and with shouldered architraves with keystones under similar at first floor without keystones. The front framed in broad flat pilasters. Right hand wall is carried across as 'false front' beyond main body, and is flanked by ashlar wall running c.16 m to right with panelled pier terminations, partly concealing buildings in back courtyard. Back is in four floors, severe plain openings to various sashes, but including larger central triple-light with central arch in brought-forward section off staircase; at basement level, left, a 3-bay pentice with basket-handle arches with keystones on octagonal stone piers. To left is 2-storey unit with stone slate roof with 2-light arched light windows and a peaked-head doorway, attached to which a one storey pavilion with pyramidal roof and one similar window to west and north fronts, and a similar door. To right of courtyard a large gabled unit with slate roof and a very lofty eaves stack and bell-cote to kitchen; much of this appears to be C19, but probably incorpo- rates part of the C17 farm preceding the present house. It includes three 9-pane over three 12-pane sashes on the north side. Attached to this a small square brew house of the C19 with ventilator to stone-slated pyramidal roof; 2-light arched-light casement to east and north fronts, as in smoke room oppo- site. Interior: Entrance hall has 2-column Ionic screen to left, and corres- ponding wall pair to right, good stone floor with some tiling, enriched cornice and plain ceiling leading to passageway with niche to either side and under flat vaulted plaster ceiling; leads to grand staircase with 2 fluted Doric balusters per tread, dado, 'Gibbsian' newels, of the 1737 build, but at first landing a deep recess through pair of Corinthian columns with large triple window with stained glass and a fine joinery inlay floor; Thorwaldsen plaques to side walls. Library, the largest of the main rooms has Baseri bookcases, enriched cornice, heavy ornamented, a fireback dated 1641 and the Hyett motto: "COR IMMOBILE". Drawing room has splendid C18 Chinoiserie painted hangings on canvas to battens. Stair corridor links via ante-room with glazed barrel vault with some coloured glass and with Greek key frieze to the Dining room with replica Parttenor frieze, scagliola columns to opposed recesses that nearer the drawing room having glazed flat ceiling; black marble fireplace with 2 bronze masks; porphyry bases to columns; decorative plaster ceiling. A very mannerist building resulting from Baseri's adaption of the earlier house: floor levels at odd relationships to elevation, and quirkily varied sash divisions on main front. (C L Sept 1917).

Listing NGR: SO8632810466

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
133436
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13874/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Jill Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].