CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1153465
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CRICKLADE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153465 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 07:29:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CRICKLADE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Poulton
National Grid Reference:
SP 09894 00705

Details

POULTON CRICKLADE STREET SP 00 SE (west side) 4/85 Church of St. Michael and All Angels 26.11.58 II Anglican church. 1873 by William Butterfield. Coursed rubble stone with freestone dressings, on plinth, sprocketed stone slate roof with artificial stone slate to north side, coped east gable with cross finial. Large nave with bellcote and south porch at west end, north aisle, chancel. Early English style with cusped lancets of one, two or three lights. Tiered bellcote with 3 bells, side buttresses with offsets and saddleback roof with weathervane. Five-bay arcade on north side, one bay in chancel, 4 to nave, with western bay having smaller arch. Faceted rafter roof. Small square 2-light windows to north aisle. Plain splayed reveals to nave windows except that nearest chancel on south side which has cinquefoiled rere-arch and jamb shafts on corbel heads. Similar east window to chancel, and all chancel windows with cinquefoiled rere-arches. Encaustic tiles and reredos by Butterfield remain. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1979).)

Listing NGR: SP0989400705

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
129382
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04536/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].