BOVERIDGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1153468
Date first listed:
03-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
BOVERIDGE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOVERIDGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 07:56:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOVERIDGE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
East Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Cranborne
National Grid Reference:
SU 06986 14759

Details

CRANBORNE SU 01.SE BOVERIDGE

7/8 Boveridge House

II

Country House, now school. Early C19 with additions dated 1887 and 1920. For Henry Brouncher by William Evans of Wimborne. Slate and lead roofs largely concealed behind parapets. Brick stacks with moulded caps in various locations. Double plat bands between which are brick panels below window openings. 2 storeys and attics, 7 bays (5 to original house). Sash windows in lugged ashlar architraves, 12-pane below and 9-pane above. Panelled parapet with integral pedimented dormers. Central late C19 canted bay with balustraded parapet and French doors. Open loggia at right angles left. Greek Doric tetrastyle portico to west facade.

Internally, the main rooms have moulded cornices, panelling and various enrichments mainly in a mid-C18 style. Several marble fireplaces possibly reset from else where; stone staircase with wrought-iron balustrade and moulded handrail; apsidal entrance hall with Ionic colonnade; 1920 drawing room high quality panelling with pilastered fireplace and shell-headed niches. (RCHM, Dorset, vol. V, p.13-14, No. 20.)

Listing NGR: SU0698614759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
107345
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 13-14
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 12 Dorset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06367/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].