Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153497.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 10:33:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
West Bedlington
National Grid Reference:
NZ 26050 81813


BEDLINGTON CHURCH LANE NZ 2681 NW (East side) Bedlington

9/53 Church of 18/10/49 St. Cuthbert


Parish Church. Nave mid-C12 with C14 south chapel. Chancel rebuilt 1743 and again in mid-C19, west tower 1868, north aisle, vestries and nave windows 1911-12. Nave and chapel squared stone, C19 parts squared tooled stone, 1911-12 work snecked stone; cut dressings. C19 work in Romanesque style, 1911-12 in free C14 style.

South side of nave shows plinth, eaves cornice and 1912 3-light window on each side of chapel; C18 round-arched light to far right, with traces of 4 similar but larger openings above 1912 windows and chapel roof. Chapel has moulded plinth and vertical-panelled door in double-chamfered arch with hoodmould, early C20 3-light window on right and low-pitched coped gable with finial cross. Circular clerestorey with cusped mouchettes, on north of nave. West tower of 2 tall stages with south-west stair turret; round-arched west window, 2-light bell openings and battlemented parapet. North aisle has stepped buttress bay divisions, hollow-chamfered north door, 2-light windows on north and east, 4-light west window. Re-set slab by west window, 'WATSON'S WAKE 1669' commemorates fatal fall from tower of local somnambulist. 3-bay chancel has plinth and stepped buttresses; priest's door and 2 arched windows on south and eastern triplet, with carved capitals to jamb shafts and billet hoodmoulds. Mural monument on east of vestry to Stephen, son of Henry Earl of Derby, 1795.

Interior: Chancel arch on semicircular shafts with carved impost band; arch taken down and re-set in 4-centred form, perhaps in C15, has inner order with roll flanked by hollows and outer order of carved voussoirs. Trefoil-headed squint on north of arch and moulded ogee niche on south. 5-bay chamfered arcade on octagonal piers. Pointed tower arch. South chapel has barrel vault and recess on west with chamfered segmental arch; doorway into nave has chamfered round arch and taller roll-moulded rear arch. Nave has boarded ceiling on tie-beam trusses with pierced panelling,alternately springing from wall-posts with pierced arch braces. Scissor-brace roof to aisle. Chancel roof has round-arched stone trusses with chevron ornament.

Carved C19 font. 7 medieval cross slabs. Romanesque carving of 2 figures, at time of survey removed from south wall for conservation. Group of late Georgian marble tablets in chancel. Burdon memorial window at west end of aisle with Christ in Majesty, saints, patriarchs and masonic symbols; good War Memorial window in south chapel; St. Cuthbert window in nave. Parish chest in aisle.

Listing NGR: NZ2605081813


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08695/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bill Halliday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]