- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153504.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 00:32:18.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NU 20262 03127
NU 20 SW
House. Late C16 or early C17; south front remodelled in second quarter of C18; enlarged and given new west front 1805 for Thomas Cook. Squared stone, of near-ashlar quality in 1805 parts, except for rubble of east elevation and roughly-squared stone of east part of north elevation; cut dressings. Lakeland slate roof to main block; kitchen wing with pantiles except for asbestos sheets on east end; stacks rebuilt in brick on old bases. Main block formerly L-plan, enlarged to a square in 1805; kitchen wing to south- east.
South front; main block 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Central old half- glazed door in bolection-moulded suround; 12-pane sash windows, some renewed, in architraves; hipped roof. To right is the plain rear elevation of the single-storey kitchen wing. 3-bay west front shows central trompe l'oeil doorway of 6 fielded panels under 12-pane sash with slightly-projecting sill, between downpipes with fluted rainwater heads inscribed T 1805 C; flanking canted full-height bay windows with sill bands, 12-pane sashes and pyramidal roofs: main hipped roof has central ridge stack. East elevation shows several C16/17 windows of one or two lights, some enlarged to hold 4-pane sashes. Similar windows in left part of north elevation; right part, set slightly forward, is 1805 extension with Gothic-arched stair window: 12-pane sash, with intersecting head, in raised surround with imposts and keystone. Set back to left is kitchen wing with blocked chamfered doorway and 8-pane sash window; slightly taller right part has stepped-and-banded old brick ridge stack, and left end gable with raised reverse-stepped coping.
Interior largely of 1805. Dog-leg stair with stick balusters, moulded newels, shaped tread ends and curtail step; modillion cornices to stair and entrance hall. Drawing room has contemporary dado rail, cornice and fireplace. Doors of 6 fielded panels; panelled shutters.
Listing NGR: NU2026203127
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing