CHURCH OF ST RUMBOLD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1153676
Date first listed:
03-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST RUMBOLD, PENTRIDGE VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST RUMBOLD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 03:16:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST RUMBOLD, PENTRIDGE VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
East Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Pentridge
National Grid Reference:
SU 03316 17823

Details

PENTRIDGE SU 01 NW PENTRIDGE VILLAGE (North-west side)

3/73 Church of St Rumbold

GV II

Parish church, chancel 1815 (Newman and Pevsner), remainder 1855-7: 1855-7 work by Slater. Squared rubble and flint with ashlar dressings, tiled roof. Plan: west tower, nave, chancel, south porch. In the Decorated style. West tower: 2 stages with short broach spire; square-set buttresses; 2-light pointed west window with curvilinear tracery; loop to first stage; belfry has cinquefoiled lancets. Main body of church has 2-light, pointed windows with curvilinear tracery. Pointed, chamfered door to south chancel wall. 3-light, pointed east window with curvilinear tracery and labels with head stops. Timber south porch with pointed arch, cusped bargeboards and original gates.

Internal features: pointed chancel arch on respond half-columns; braced, scissor-truss roof to nave; boarded waggon roof to chancel; C19 octagonal font; C19 pews; C19 glass; C18 wall monument to Robert and Elizabeth Browning, great grandparents of the poet. (RCHM, Dorset, vol V, p 53, no. 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p 312).

Listing NGR: SU0331617823

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
107410
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 53
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 312

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03182/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].