This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

EMBLETON UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EMBLETON UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1153701

Location

EMBLETON UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, FRONT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Embleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236970

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 2322 EMBLETON FRONT STREET (South side)

14/80 Embleton United Reformed Church

GV II

Presbyterian Church, dated 1833, altered c.1920. West front squared and coursed whinstone blocks, other elevations whinstone rubble, with raised whin quoins and dressings, rendered and pebbledashed; cut sandstone sills, lintels and gable copings. Welsh slate roof.

West front 4 bays. Centre bays have tall pointed windows with wood Y-tracery, each light holding a Gothick-headed 16-pane sash; roundel above and between with date. Right end bay has a 12-pane Gothick sash under a pointed arch, with a similar blocked window above; left end bay has a gabled porch of c.1920 with flush-panelled double doors in bolection-moulded surround on the left return; on front a small window with slit above, under coped gable, on moulded kneelers, with ball finial; above the porch is another blocked pointed window. Coped gables with moulded kneelers. At right end a small single-storey extension with a 9-pane sash window.

2-bay left return, to street, shows 12-pane sashes in left bay; right bay has similar blocked window (now holding noticeboard) under Diocletian window of c.1920. 3-bay rear elevation shows 16-pane sashes and flush-panelled door with 4-pane overlight.

Interior remodelled c.1920, when side parts of gallery removed and rear part, carried on two cast-iron columns on stepped ashlar bases, converted to separate upper hall.



Listing NGR: NU2317422593

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 23174 22593

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 10:06:52.

End of official listing