This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOTHAL CASTLE WELBECK ESTATE OFFICE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AROUND STABLE YARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOTHAL CASTLE WELBECK ESTATE OFFICE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AROUND STABLE YARD

List entry Number: 1153737

Location

BOTHAL CASTLE WELBECK ESTATE OFFICE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AROUND STABLE YARD, BOTHAL VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ashington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235951

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOTHAL BOTHAL VILLAGE NZ 2386 (West side)

7/81 Bothal Castle: Welbeck Estate Office and attached outbuildings around stable yard GV II



Outbuildings, c.1858, incorporating some medieval walling. Tooled stone with tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Embattled screen wall runs north from west end of C19 wing attached to castle gatehouse, returning east and then south; various outbuildings back onto wall: flat-roofed single- storey office adjacent to wing, L-plan stable block at north-west corner; lower wall with arched coping links small gabled building with east end of stable. Boarded doors and double doors, 1- and 2-light windows with small-paned casements.

Medieval masonry is visible externally on the western screen wall; the stable yard perpetuates the 'Yethouse Court' described in an account of the castle in 'The Booke of Bothoole Baronye' (1576); the Ogle tower stood at its north- west corner.

'Bothal Observed', R. Bibby. Frank Graham, 1973.

Listing NGR: NZ2396686536

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Booke of Bothoole Baronye, (1576)

National Grid Reference: NZ 23968 86535

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2018 at 05:56:46.

End of official listing