MONUMENT TO ARTHUR KNOWLES IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153809

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: MONUMENT TO ARTHUR KNOWLES IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONUMENT TO ARTHUR KNOWLES IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 23:41:48.

Location

Statutory Address: MONUMENT TO ARTHUR KNOWLES IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Elmore

National Grid Reference: SO 76720 14898

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 71 SE ELMORE -

4/28 Monument to Arthur Knowles in the churchyard approximately 9m south of south porch to Church of St. John GV II*

Chest tomb. Dated 1707. Limestone. Lyre-ended and carved in high relief. West end has elaborate heraldic cartouche above recumbent lion; east also has elaborate carving to heart-shaped cartouche. Central circular inscription panel to south flanked by putti holding an open book, with angelic musicians behind and smaller putti below; father time to left and death to right. North side has similar inscription panel enclosed by fringed curtains held open by figures bearing open books; again, father time and death. Cornice moulded top and chamfered base. Inscribed to north side to Arthur Knowles, died 1707, and on south to other members of family. An extremely well preserved and highly ornate example of mason's craftsmanship. (F. Burgess, English Churchyard Memorials, 1979; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean, 1976.)

Listing NGR: SO7672014898

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 131686

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burgess, F , English Churchyard Memorials, (1963)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing