THE BLACK BULL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1153925
Date first listed:
14-May-1986
Statutory Address:
THE BLACK BULL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BLACK BULL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 20:12:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BLACK BULL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wooler
National Grid Reference:
NT 99148 28070

Details

NT 9928 WOOLER HIGH STREET (North side)

17/116 The Black Bull

GV II

Inn. C19, remodelled 1910. Ashlar and rock-faced ashlar with red-tiled roof. Arts and Crafts style. 3 storeys and attics, 3 bays.

Rock-faced ground floor has 5 irregular openings with archway in left bay, 2-leaf door with oval glazed panels in 2nd bay, and three 15-pane sashes.

Upper floors 3 windows, Centre bay is a 2-storey octagonal oriel on large wood brackets. It has wood mullioned-and-transomed windows and lead aprons inscribed in typical letters HE AD 1910 THE BLACK BULL. Apron on 2nd floor is decorated with Tudor roses and fleurs de lys.

2-light sash windows, the upper sashes with small panes.

Pronounced modillioned and moulded cornice, curved around oriel. Decorative rainwater heads.

Gabled roof with flat coping, corniced end stacks and corniced, flat-topped dormer windows.

Listing NGR: NT9914828070

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237691
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07823/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Cuthbert. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].