CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1153940

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, DAGGONS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153940 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 13:44:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, DAGGONS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Alderholt

National Grid Reference: SU 10476 12606

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDERHOLT SU 11 SW DAGGONS ROAD

3/4 Church of St James

18.3.55 II

Parish Church, 1849 with chancel of 1922. Heathstone rubble with rubble dressings, ashlar dressings to chancel. Slated and tiled roofs with end stone copings except to west end and porch. These have crow stepped gables. Plan: nave; chancel; north vestry; west porch. 3 light mullioned and transomed west window with triangular head. Nave windows of a single light with chamfered triangular heads and chamfered surrounds separated by buttresses of 2 weathered stages. Chancel and vestry have trefoiled single light windows and offset buttresses. East window of 3 graduated lancets. Pointed west bellcote with wooden shingles. Porch has plain pointed arch. West doorway has chamfered, square head and continuous jambs. Double, 3-leaf, studded plank door.

Interior features: pointed, moulded chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases; C19 panelled entrance lobby/ringing chamber; chancel has 2 bay arch-braced collar roof; nave has 4-bay braced king-post roof with tie beams and a single tier of purlins; C19 octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panels; C19/C20 pews; open gridwork timber pulpit from St Osmund, Parkstone, Poole.

A very simple and unusual church. (R.C.H.M. Dorset, Vol V, pl, no. 1 Newman, J and Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England Dorset, p.74).

Listing NGR: SU1047612606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 107462

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 1
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 74

End of official listing