ETAL MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1153945
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
ETAL MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of ETAL MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153945 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:53:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
ETAL MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ford
National Grid Reference:
NT 92972 39452

Details

FORD ETAL NT 9239 Etal Manor (formerly 16/77 listed as Etal House or (Etal Manor) 21.9.51 GV II*

Country house. 1748 and 1767 for William Carr, extended to rear 1888 for James Laing. Ashlar with Scottish slate roof. Original house L-plan with range of 1767 filling in the angle.

Original house 2 storeys, 7 x 7 bays.

Entrance front: chamfered plinth and rusticated quoins. Central pedimented Venetian doorway with half-glazed door. The fanlight and side lights have thick glazing bars. 12-pane sashes in architraves, ground floor windows with lightly-moulded sill band. The 3 ground-floor left windows have thick glazing bars. Modillion cornice. Hipped roof with 4 banded ridge stacks on returns.

Left return has similar detail. Pediment and pulvinated frieze over central ground-floor windows.

Right return of 1767 has 7 windows with raised surrounds. C19 additions to rear in a style very similar to original work.

Interior: spacious entrance hall with elliptical arch and pedimented door surrounds with pulvinated friezes. Broad open-well stair with ramped and moulded handrail, turned balusters with square knops. Panelled dado with pilasters between the panels. Round-headed stair window with thick glazing bars. Drawing room original panelled dado with moulded rail; panelling above is an addition; modillion cornice. Elsewhere 6-panel doors and shutters.

Listing NGR: NT9297239452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238044
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06146/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Don Brownlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].