HOWICK HALL CENTRE BLOCK AND LINK GALLERIES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1153968
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
HOWICK HALL CENTRE BLOCK AND LINK GALLERIES

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOWICK HALL CENTRE BLOCK AND LINK GALLERIES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 09:31:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOWICK HALL CENTRE BLOCK AND LINK GALLERIES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Longhoughton
National Grid Reference:
NU 24802 17499

Details

NU 2417 LONGHOUGHTON HOWICK HALL

16/116 Howick Hall centre block and link galleries GV II*

Country House. 1782 by William Newton for Sir Henry Grey. Linking galleries altered and entrance hall added 1809 by George Wyatt; alterations and internal remodelling, after serious fire, 1928 by Sir Herbert Baker and Scott. Tooled ashlar with graduated Lakeland slate roof. Plan: Rectangular block with internal 1st-floor courtyard; 1-storey entrance hall on north continued as linking galleries to east and west wings (the former stable and kitchen blocks), q.v.

North (entrance) front: 3-storey 9-bay main-block with 1-storey 5-bay projecting porch and 6-bay linking galleries slightly set back from porch at both sides. Porch has plinth, Tuscan pilasters, cornice and balustraded parapet. Central door, with bronze lion-mask knocker, under overlight with lantern and date 1929; cornice over. Flanking round-arched windows; outer windows under cornices. Side galleries have subsidiary doors, and windows in architraves; all replaced 15-pane sashes. 3 rainwater heads dated 1809 with Grey crest. Main block in three 3-bay sections. Pedimented centre holds giant Tuscan aedicule, with recessed windows giving on to inner court, flanked by round-headed windows on first floor and oculi above; all small-paned casements. Grey crest and motto in pediment. Outer sections have 12-pane sashes on first floor, 6-pane above; entablature and blocking course, hipped roofs behind with ridge stacks.

South front 3 storeys, 9 bays. Rusticated ground floor; moulded plinth and - sill string to first floor. Projecting pedimented 3-bay centre with giant Ionic Order. Central half-glazed double door with radial fanlight. All ground- and first-floor windows 12-pane sashes, those on first-floor centre with fluted friezes and console bracketed pediments; similar friezes and cornices in outer bays. 6-pane second-floor sashes in architraves. All windows renewed. Modillion eaves cornice; worn Grey crest and motto in modillioned pediment. 5-bay returns have similar detail, with pedimented 1st-floor centre windows.

Interior: Entrance hall, flanked by distyle Roman Doric screens, has metope frieze, with flowers and bucrania, and decorative plaster ceiling. Most of the interior was renewed in 1928. Most fittings of earlier date now removed, although some ornamental plaster ceilings remain. C17 carved stone fireplace, brought from a Yorkshire house, in study.



Listing NGR: NU2480217499

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237007
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 31 Northumberland,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02000/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].