Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1153987

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1153987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 05:30:40.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Somerford Keynes

National Grid Reference: SU 01654 95524


SOMERFORD KEYNES SOMERFORD KEYNES VILLAGE SU 09 NW 8/197 Church of All Saints 26.11.58 GV II* Anglican parish church. Saxon foundation c685, largely rebuilt early C13, tower of c1710-13, restored 1875 by Waller including building of north aisle. Coursed and tooled stone with some snecking and flush quoins, sprocketed stone slate roof with coped verges and saddlestones with cross finials. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel, with north aisle. Tower of 3 stages with offsets, embattled parapet and corner pinnacles, and stepped buttresses up to 2nd stage. Twin round-arched louvred belfry lights on top stage to all sides, similar window on second stage to west with large 3-light Perpendicular window below and small segmental headed doorway. Saxon doorway in aisleless section of north wall of nave, very narrow with stilted arch carried on stepped corbels. Two-light windows to nave and chancel, some restored, with priest's door between the 2 chancel windows on south side, and C19 three-light lancet to east. Interior: nave roof of 5 bays with braced collar beams with struts to principal rafters, and 2 tiers of arched wind bracing. Arcade on north side is Early English, 2 bays to nave, one to chancel. North aisle contains large black and white marble monument with reclining effigy to Robert Straung (Strange), died 1654. Chancel has sedilia and C13 piscina, C15 screen. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; Geoffrey Gibbon, Through the Saxon Door - the story of Somerford Keynes, 1969).

Listing NGR: SU0165495524


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 129496

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gibbon, G, Through the Saxon Door The Story of Somerford Keynes, (1969)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing