CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154002

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 06:08:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Westcote

National Grid Reference: SP 21987 20555

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTCOTE CHURCH WESTCOTE SP 22 SW 2/251 Church of St Mary GV II Anglican parish church. C15, chancel rebuilt 1876 by Bonner of London, nave rebuilt 1886. Both nave and chancel are C13 in style suggesting that the earlier church may have been of that date. Coursed squared and dressed limestone with dressed stone quoins and a stone slate roof. Nave with a projecting south porch, chancel with vestry on the north, west tower. Nave north wall; C15 two- light window with ogee-curved cinquefoil-headed lights with tracery above within a rectangular casement-moulded surround with a hood with square steps. C19, C14 style 2-light pointed window with two trefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil at the top. Flat-chamfered segmental-pointed arched priest's door with a stopped hood between these two windows. South wall; two C19 windows each comprising three graded lancets with a stopped hood. C19 corbel table. C19 plank door with decorative hinges within a double-chamfered pointed-headed surround with a scroll-moulded hood with stylised animal head stops within the porch. Porch; segmental-pointed double-chamfered arched entrance. Chancel south wall; flat- chamfered plinth; single-pointed light and a matching 2-light window, both with stopped hoods with foliate stops. Single-light window of the same design in the north wall. East window; three graduated lancets with a graduated stopped hood. Blind trefoil, also with a stopped hood towards the apex of the gable. String below the windows on all the sides of the chancel. Lean-to vestry in the same style as the chancel, with a C19 plank door with decorative hinges and a segmental-pointed surround. Three-stage tower with single trefoil-headed light with stopped hoods to the lower stage on the west. Similar window to the second stage on the south. Two-light belfry windows also with trefoil-headed lights to the third stage. Battlemented parapet. Strings between stages. Roof; stepped coped gables. Upright cross finials on roll cross saddles. C19 carved man's head with cleft beard on kneeler at the north-west corner of the north aisle. Church interior; 4-bay nave with C19 arch-braced roof trusses. C19 trussed rafter roof trusses to the chancel. C15 double- chamfered arch from the nave to the base of the tower. C19 Early English style chancel arch with engaged columns, circular capitals and a moulded hood with foliate stops , rere arches in similar style behind the east window. Plank floor to nave. Coloured tile floor to chancel with some encaustic tiling in the sanctuary. C15 octagonal font inside the south door. C19 pews and pulpit. Chancel; Austrian oak panelling with fillets and frieze with running foliate motif below window height. English wooden altar probably of C19 date with decorative marquetry, dorsal and riddel posts. C19 carved oak chair and bench beside the altar. C19 stained glass east window. Two C19 stained glass in the windows to the nave north wall. Three stained glass windows in the south wall (by John Hardman) are particularly fine quality and are both dated 1925. (V.C.H. Glos, Vol VI, p 176; and David Verey, The Buildings of England, The Cotswolds, 1979)



Listing NGR: SP2198720555

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 130982

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1965), 176
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing