Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154056

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 15:57:30.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Tarrant Rawston

National Grid Reference: ST 93905 06666


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TARRANT RAWSTON ST 90 NW - 3/53 Church of St Mary 26.6.53 GV II*

Redundant Parish Church, now private chapel, C14 origin with late C14 or early C15 alterations, C16 porch and south chapel, C18 chancel, north chapel and further alterations. Flint and squared rubble with ashlar dressings, tiled roofs with stone-slate margins. Plan: nave, short chancel, north and south transeptal chapels; south porch with bellchamber over. Windows are mainly of 2 or 3-trefoiled lights with Perpendicular tracery. C20 gallery window in west gable apex. Bell- chamber has single trefoiled opening. Porch has chamfered circular arch with continuous jambs.

Internal features. C18 semi-circular chancel arch with moulded imposts; transept arches are chamfer semi-circular with moulded imposts and chamfered jambs, that to the south being C16 and that to the north an C18 copy; polygonal C17 timber pulpit with moulded panelling below and chip carved panelling above, carved cornice with integral reading desk. C19 seating incorporating some C17 timberwork; plastered barrel vault ceilings, probably C18; early C19 gallery with panelled and moulded front; octagonal stone font on octagonal pier bearing quatrefoils and dated 1868; late C18 turned communion rails; reset medieval floor tiles with slip decoration; baroque monument dated 1788 to Radford and Thomas Gundry having skull and crossbones and scrolled cheek pieces (a late date for this style of monument.) (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV, p.110/1, no.1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.419.)

Listing NGR: ST9390506666


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103773

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 110-111
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 419

End of official listing