OLD MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154068

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Statutory Address: OLD MANOR FARMHOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:27:51.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD MANOR FARMHOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Stanton

National Grid Reference: SP 06824 34241

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANTON HIGH STREET SP 0634-0734 (south side)

11/77 Old Manor Farmhouse

4.7.60

GV II* Former farmhouse, now house. Probably late C16, 1615, 1618, 1622 (datestones), minor alterations early C18, early C19, 1927 (datestone), mid C20. Roughly squared, coursed stone; stone slate roof. 'U' plan front, 4-bays wide, 2 rear wings, 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 storeys. To road: plinth to facade to left of doorway only: all windows mullioned with hoodmoulds, to left of door hollow chamfer, except to over hall. Left wing: 6-light king mullion window ground floor; datestone above, 'I B A I / 1615'. Above, 4-light with king mullion, 2-light to attic, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Blocked window under eaves on right return. Centre section: 3-light and 4-light windows, latter with king mullion; double- boarded door up 2 stone steps, double ovolo surround, hoodmould: datestone above 'A B / 1618'. Mid C20 two-light window to right, C17 two-light above, lower part of lights filled. Above on left wall carried up into dormer: 6-light mullion and transom window, king mullion; oval window above, moulded surround, 4 keys. Parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Right wing: slit window below eaves on left return. Four-light window with king mullion main front, 3-light above, 2-light to attic; parapet gable, cross- gablet apex. Two ashlar chimneys left return, moulded caps. Ridge chimney to left of cross-passage; 2 diamond-set flues, moulded caps. Similar late C20 single flue on ridge right wing. Interior: timber-framed wall to right of cross passage, another continuing line of recessed wall behind projecting wing on right. Exposed beam and joists main room on right, wide fireplace, flat 3- centred arch, moulded. Hall to left cross passage: chequerboard paving, stone fireplace, Tudor arch, strapwork band, moulded shelf, '1622 AB' date. Ceiling quartered, heavy chamfer to beams, stopped chamfered ceiling joists, half beams to walls. Front room, left wing, dust-ledge panelling with moulded top, double-ovolo fireplace surround, Tudor arch, moulded stone shelf. Ceiling as hall: 5- panel door. Hollow chamfer to beam to rear wing with stairs. Stairs possibly reset, square, panelled newels, splat balusters, open well. First floor: timber-framed wall to stair wing; dust- ledge panelling in one room left wing, with fluted top: Adam-style fireplace surround, late C18 basket grate. Over hall, stone fireplace surround with bolection moulding. Roof collar truss, with curved windbraces. Left half appears added to or rebuild of part of earlier house, remains of which survive to right of cross passage, with later balancing stone wing added to front. (W.G. Davie & E.G. Dawber, Old Cottages, Farmhouses....,in the Cotswold District, 1904; photographs at N.M.R.; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)

Listing NGR: SP0682434241

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 134861

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Davie, W G, Dawber, E G, Old Cottages Farmhouses and other Stone Buildings in the Cotswold District, (1905)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing