Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1154083

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1961



Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154083 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 09:40:04.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Longburton

National Grid Reference: ST 64887 12755


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/90 Parish Church of 31.7.61 St James


Parish Church. C13 west tower. Chancel and nave rebuilt in C15. South porch added C15. North chapel built by Leweston Fitzjames, early C17. Restored in 1873, when north arcade was built, and north aisle added. Rubble-stone walls with freestone dressings. Clay-tile roofs with stone gable-copings, and gable-crosses. West tower of 3 stages, with a C15, upper stage, and embattled parapet with gargoyles. Late C14 west doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred arch. Second stage has in the north, south and west faces, a C13 lancet with a trefoiled rear-arch. The bell-chamber has in each wall a C16 or C17 window of 2 square-headed lights. The nave has in the south wall;two C15 windows both of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a 2-centred head, with moulded and shafted reveals, and label with returned stops. The C15 south doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch. The south porch is C15, and has a moulded and pointed outer archway. The moulded responds have central moulded capitals with carved paterae. The label has head stops of a man and a lion. The chancel has 3 windows to the south wall, two are of 2 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head. The middle window is of one trefoiled light with a square head. The doorway below it has moulded jambs and three-centred head. The east window is of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head, with moulded reveals and label with head stops. North chapel, C17, has an east window of 3 four-centred lights in a square head with a label. In the north wall is a blocked similar window. Interior: chancel-arch has panelled jambs and arch-soffits, the responds have 2 attached shafts with moulded capitals and chamfered bases. Tower-arch, C13, 2-centred and of 2 chamfered orders, the outercontinuous and the inner springing from short corbel-shafts with moulded capitals and terminals. North arcade, of 4 bays has Perpendicular-style piers, C19. Roofs: waggon-roofs, panelled and boxed, C19. North chapel, early C17 addition, has two major C17 painted tone monuments: (1) to Sir John Fitzjames, 1625, and Joan his wife 1612, erected by Leweston Fitzjames their son. (2) to Thomas Winston, 1609, his son Sir Henry Winston 1609-10, and Dionise (Bond) his wife 1609-10 erected by Eleanor Fitzjames, their daughter. Font: octagonal bowl with quatrefoiled panel and patera on each face, moulded underside, plain stem and moulded base, C15. Royal Arms: nave south wall, Stuart arms on wooden panel with enriched frame, initials and date C.R. 1662. (RCHM. Dorset I, p.62(1))

Listing NGR: ST6488912756


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 106108

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952), 62(1)

End of official listing