CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154150

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154150 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:39:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Edmondsham

National Grid Reference: SU 06118 11543

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 01 SE EDMONDSHAM VILLAGE STREET (north side) 2/23 18.3.55 Church of St Nicholas

GV II*

Parish Church, probably C12 origin, north aisle C14, nave and tower C15, some C16 work, major restoration and rebuilding of 1862. Rubble and chequered rubble and flint with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs with stone gable copings. Plan: nave; chancel, north aisle, north west tower; south porch. Tower: 3 stage with chamfered plinth, moulded strings and plain parapet with corner finials; 2 light, pointed west window with string course, carried as a label; remaining windows are cinquefoiled single lights with returned labels; square set buttresses. Main church windows are C15 of 2 and 5 lights under square and pointed heads with labels or C19 copies. North aisle has pointed, chamfered doorway with timber hood. South porch has pointed hollow chamfered arch and pointed chamfered doorway.

Interior: 2 bay pointed, chamfered arcade on square pier with plain imposts; C19 pointed chamfered chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds and capitals with carved foliage; tower arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into responds; 3 bay C19 arch braced collar roof to nave; 6 sided beamed roof to chancel; waggon roof to aisle; various C18 and C19 monuments including a series of 8 heraldic slabs to Hussey family; reset C15 niche head in aisle; C19 octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panels; C19/C20 timber pulpit; C19 glass. (R.C.H.M. Dorset Vol V, p.16-17, no. 1.Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England Dorset 1972, p.198).

Listing NGR: SU0611811543

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 107481

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975), 16-17
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 198

End of official listing