LITTLE MILL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154169

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: LITTLE MILL FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE MILL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154169 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 04:21:50.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE MILL FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Longhoughton

National Grid Reference: NU 22704 18051

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 21 NW LONGHOUGHTON LITTLE MILL

5/144 Little Mill Farmhouse II

House, dated 1714 with initials HB (Hannah Barron). Attic floor of front block removed and roofs renewed in later C19; interior remodelled c.1970 after years of dereliction. South and east walls large squared stone, other walls rubble; cut dressings and stacks. Welsh slate roofs with yellow brick stack to rear wing. L-plan.

South elevation 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Centre fielded-panel door in badly-damaged bolection-moulded surround; 12-pane sash windows in moulded stone surrounds. Coped gables; stepped-and-corniced end stacks. Left return shows 1st-floor chamfered window, with renewed glazing, and blocked opening above; traces of possible lower gable line to left. Rear elevation of front block shows small chamfered window at 1st floor.

East elevation 3 bays: left gable end of front block with blocked chamfered windows. Centre bay shows C20 window in former doorway under relief-carved lintel with shield, enclosing initials and date, flanked by scrolly-foliage; blocked chamfered window above. Right bay shows ground- and 1st-floor windows in architraves with projecting moulded sills. Coped right end gable with rebuilt stack. Right return of wing shows blocked 2-light mullioned window on 1st floor.

The 1714 date may relate to the building of the house or adaptation of an earlier fabric; the present south front may have been remodelled in the second quarter of the C18.

Single-storey extensions to north and west of rear wing are not of special interest.



Listing NGR: NU2270418051

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 237035

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing