CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1154223

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154223 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 16:39:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Harescombe

National Grid Reference: SO 83737 10416

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 81 SW HARESCOMBE CHURCH LANE (south side) 5/93 church of St. John the Baptist

10.1.55

GV II*

Parish church. C13; 1871 restoration by Francis Niblett. Coursed, squared and ashlar limestone; stone slate roof. Nave without aisles; chancel, south porch and north vestry. C13 chamfered pointed-arched south doorway with medieval plank and batten door; C19 restored porch with pointed arch and diagonal corner buttresses to parapet gable; narrow side lancets. Two trefoil-headed nave lancets to right; east end of nave has wide offset buttress and wide coping to gable below C13 bellcote: octagonal stone spire having 4 attached octagonal pinnacles with C19 iron crosses; central moulded bracket divides space for 2 bells. Two C18 memorials on wall west of porch. Blocked C13 doorway to buttressed north nave wall with 3 trefoil-headed lancets. C19 2-light west window with quatrefoil tracery and carved head labels to hood mould. C19 restored pair of cinquefoil lancets to east chancel wall; 2 trefoil-headed C13 lancets to south with C18 memorial to right; single trefoil headed lancet to north with lean-to C19 vestry to right having trefoil-headed north lancets. Limewashed interior. C19 4-bay collar truss nave roof; C13 pointed chancel arch with chamfered archivolt; chancel altered in Cl9; 3-bay arcaded reredos with tile inlay; raised floor; plank boarded chancel roof; large chamfered segmental arch to vestry. Cinquefoil-headed piscina in south chancel wall with credence table; cinquefoil-headed south nave piscina. C20 altar screen with carved angels on riddle posts; Jacobean hexagonal pulpit on Cl9 moulded stone base; C19 box pews. Two C18 memorials, either side of chancel arch: right to Rev. Mr Jonathan Blagge BA, died 1726, has oval inscription panel with putti and cherubs, and is surmounted by bust of the rector, all painted; left is oval moulded memorial to CHARLES STOCK, Rector of Harescombe, died 1707/8, also painted. C19 stained glass to west window; C20 to east. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SO8373710416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 131748

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing