ST 6220 -
The Manor House
Manor House in grounds. Built c. 1550 for Edward Knoyle. West service
range largely rebuilt in 1873. Extensively restored 1978-1980. Main
elevations in Ham stone ashlar. Service ranges in caused squared rubble.
Stone slate roofs, with gable-ends to ends of ranges and two gables to
front (east elevation). South gable being a C19 addition. Stone gable-
copings with carved monkeys holding shields at apices. Stone stacks,
with carved interlace cornices, C16 in gatehouse, C19 on hall ridge and
on north gable end. Stack on gable of south chamber, and at gable-ends
of west service range. East front: 2½ storeys. 4 windows. 2 storey
canted bay, 6-light stone mullions ground floor transomed. Moulded stone
cills. 2-light mullion, 3-light to porch. 3-light to Parlour, with a
4-light window over. Iron casements with lozenge-leaded lights. Plinth
moulding is carried up and over Parlour window as a continuous label.
String course to first floor designed in same way. The gables have 3-light
mullions, with separate labels over. Porch, right of centre, 2 storeyed
and gabled, has octagonal angle-shafts with concave faces finished with
finials. Outer archway has moulded jambs and 4-centred head, C19, 2-leaf
door. Above is a lozenge-shaped panel with arms of Knoyle impaling fry
of Iwerne. South range: Hall canted bay of 8 lights with supermullion
and transomed to ground floor. Small south block (1685, Buttery Chamber)
of 2 storeys (lower), with single light and 4-light window over.
C19 walling joins this block to west range. Courtyard has staircase
tower with stone spiral stair in angle of Hall and south block. Attached
Gatehouse on north side of house, has an octagonal stone stack on north
gable. 2 storeys with attached garderobe tower to north. High gateway
has moulded jambs and 4-centred head. Flanking buttresses have plinth
moulding, set-offs and terminate in carved foliated capitals. Pedestrian
entrance on south side. String-course, lozenge-shaped panel, and 3-light
mullion window over gateway. Two-leaf plank doors. West service;range.
1½ storeys. 5 windows of 3- and 4-lights. Hollow-chamfered stone mullions
with separate labels over. Iron casements and lozenge-leaded lights.
3 gabled half-dormers. Doorway at centre has moulded jambs and depressed-
arch head. Plank door, C19. This range returns east with larder walling,
beside gatehouse, C16. Interior: internal stone spiral-stair off west
end of screens passage. Front door, panelled and nail-studded. Fireplaces
C16 form, in Hall, Buttery Chamber (Solar), upstairs chambers. Early C17
screen in Hall, 5 bays, divided by fluted Corinthian pilasters supporting
a panelled entablature with pierced pinnacles and strapwork-cresting above.
Panelled bays. Heraldic glass, south window, Hall, fleur-de-lis in wreath,
Henry VIII impaling Anne Boleyn, Knoyle impaling Payne, Knoyle quartering
Payne, Knoyle impaling quartered arms of Martyn of Athelhampton. Over-
mantels in house of C17 materials, Hall, Parlour, Chamber over Parlour.
(RCHM, Dorset I, p 196(2). A Oswald, Country Houses of Dorset, p 25).
Listing NGR: ST6228021029