DAVISON HEADSTONE 2 METRES WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1154234
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
DAVISON HEADSTONE 2 METRES WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL, LONGHOUGHTON VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DAVISON HEADSTONE 2 METRES WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 05:47:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
DAVISON HEADSTONE 2 METRES WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL, LONGHOUGHTON VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Longhoughton
National Grid Reference:
NU2430615100

Details

NU 2415 18/152

LONGHOUGHTON LONGHOUGHTON VILLAGE (West side)

Davison headstone 2 metres west of tower of Church of Ss.Peter and Paul

GV II

Headstone, 1802. Cut sandstone. Shaped top above inscription:

In memory of Alan Davison Schoolmaster of this Place three and twenty years Who died the 29th of Octr 1802 Greatly esteemed and regretted, aged 43 Years Leaving a dutiful wife and a young and much loved Daughter to lament his too early fate A man not less distinguish'd for Probity of manners Than acuteness of understanding An able Mathematician An eminent and excellent Teacher Nor was that all the fame his name acquir'd For worth and learning equally admir'd Above disguise, or false delusive art Then most beloved when most he shew'd his heart There all was pure so friendly and sincere Of ev'ry vice and ev'ry falsehood clear With fortitude unshaken to the last Thro' all vicissitude of life he past Worn out at last by long disease and pain Calm and composed ............ he came

Listing NGR: NU2430615100

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237043
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02000/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].