BIDDLE MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1154307
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1985
Statutory Address:
BIDDLE MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BIDDLE MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154307 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 15:57:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
BIDDLE MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD APPROXIMATELY 4 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL TO CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Harescombe
National Grid Reference:
SO 83744 10411

Details

SO 81 SW HARESCOMBE CHURCH LANE (south side)

Biddle monument in the churchyard 5/105 approximately 4m south of chancel to Church of St. John GV II

Pedestal tomb. Dated 1780. Limestone; sandstone top and base. Square with circular ends. Rich fluted frieze and dentil course; funereal urn to west end; ribbon bow and large floral drop to east. Circular panels to sides, that on south with raised rope border and ribbon bows in spandrels; raised moulding with foliage branches draped over to north. Moulded top and base. Inscribed on north side to JOHN BIDDLE, died 1780.

Listing NGR: SO8374410411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
131760
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00405/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jack Farley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].