BRIDES HILL HOLIDAY HOME

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1154344

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: BRIDES HILL HOLIDAY HOME, ALLENMILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDES HILL HOLIDAY HOME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 00:45:28.

Location

Statutory Address: BRIDES HILL HOLIDAY HOME, ALLENMILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Allendale

National Grid Reference: NY 82970 56350

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 85 NW ALLENDALE ALLENMILL

9/45 Brides Hill Holiday Home

II

Former School, dated '1851' on gable panel. Squared stone, tooled and margined quoins and right gable stack, timber porches, slate roof, 2 ridge and left gable stacks rendered, coped gables with moulded kneelers. Single storey, 7 bays; central gabled bay,with obelisk finial,has 2 4-panelled doors with 6-pane overlights under latticed timber porches with ornamental bargeboards and finials. To either side 3 36-pane sashes in dressed stone surrounds, slightly projecting sills. Left and right returns have doorways under latticed timber porches, right return has projecting stack carried on 4 block corbels. Rear elevation has central bay with 2 boarded doors with 8-pane overlights. Small flanking gabled wings and 3 36-pane sashes beyond, to either side.

Brides Hill School was established in 1704 in a cottage 100 metres north of the present building, to cater for the children of lead miners. An inscribed panel above the front doors of the present building, probably concealed by the name board, is reported to read; 'built by, and on land belonging to W.B. Beaumont Esq., for the education of children of all religious denominations 1851'

Listing NGR: NY8297056350

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 240166

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing